[geeks] mac geek question

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 23:24:29 CST 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 18:44:04 -0500, Kurt Huhn <kurt at k-huhn.com> wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2005, at 5:32 PM, velociraptor wrote:
>
> > So, can anyone tell me what the difference is between
> > "Apple" 200-pin DDR 333Mhz PC2700 SO-DIMMs
> > and "plain jane" 200-pin DDR 333Mhz PC2700
> > SO-DIMMs?
> >
> > I'm just wondering if there is a reason some of the vendors
> > have "not for Apple" in the product description other than
> > price gouging.
> >

> Check the CL rating.  Also, I have had bad luck with "plain jane" and
> "no name" memory modules.  They tend to fail rather spectacularly.

Yes, a reliable geek buddy told me about RAM problems on an x86 box so
he put it through torture testing--and opened the case because of an
odd smell.  Doing so revealed glowing traces on the RAM sticks.  I do
not recall the manuf. at the moment.

dealram.com has this feature "the following items appear to be the
same specs, but are not listed for your computer".  I know that
dimensions _are_ an issue in some cases (& stacked vs. non-stacked),
as well as the cache latency.  Specifically, I'm considering upgrading
my PowerBook.  Anyone have anything good/bad to say about Kingmax?

http://tinyurl.com/5rlaz   $199 @ newegg.com

=Nadine=