[geeks] USB to Serial

Thomas Gallaway rescue at port11.net
Tue Jan 11 17:59:57 CST 2005

This might be a silly question but I was trying to get certain USB
devices that act as a serial device to talk to a serial port.

I know there are USB to Serial adapters where you got a breakout box
with either one or a bunch of serial ports. But I need something reverse.

I for example I have a Nextel Cellphone that I need to hook up to a
device that only inputs serial data. The device has an PCMCIA slot but
it run's some sort of embedded system with a bunch of DSP's and as far
the firmware goes it's hard to modify cause all the comments are in
japanese. Then again I don't even know if the device would be able to
take an USB card. The processor is some sort of NEC 33mhz RISC.

So if anybody knows if there is an adapter that let's me plug into the
USB port of a cellphone and get a serial to the device that would be
helpful.

The other option I was thinking was Bluetooth to Serial (skip the entire
USB part).

-- Thomas