[geeks] [rescue] RFA: firewall

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Jan 10 19:32:29 CST 2005

" From: Doug McLaren <dougmc+sunhelp at frenzy.com>
"
" On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 03:02:47PM -0500, Sandwich Maker wrote:
"
" | " http://www.fwbuilder.org/
" |
" | fwbuilder [currently 2.0.4] can also build ipf and probably ipchains
" | config files - just about every flavor afaik.  they only have linux
" | bins at their site iirc.
"
" fwbuilder rocks.  I don't normally gush about GUI stuff, but fwbuilder
" takes a rather complicated procedure and puts a GUI around it in a
" completely appropriate manner.
"
" []
"
" So you install fwbuilder on your `build' box, set up your firewall
" rules, hit compile, copy the file to your bare-bones firewall, run it,
" test your rules.  As changes are made, you compile again, copy the
" file to the firewall, and run it.
"
" []
"
" Also, it handles things like NAT tables and port redirections and the
" like.  I strongly suggest using it for any non-trivial firewall.

i played with it a bit over the holidays, at my mother's, and it
looked great.  my problem here is - i don't have a frinkin' platform i
can run it on, short of finding where the )(*&^%$#@! those supposed
solaris binaries are concealed.  anyone know?  [yes, i followed the
links at fwbuilder.org]