[geeks] televisions...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jan 4 23:02:09 CST 2005

A little different topic for geeks: analog televisions.

I'm trying, mostly in vain, to find a decent 20 inch analog television.

Everything I'm finding in the stores fits into three categories:

    - too wide (speakers on side mostly)
    - they suck, and bad
    - they are combination TV DVD/VCR units

...or some combination of the above.

I have to fit the television in a cabinet that gives me only 22 inches
of width.

I *HATE* televisions with anything built-in, so those units are out,
even though some are otherwize decent.

What I would like to find is a 20 inch TV with a decent dark tube, invar
mask (or equivalent), comb filter, and good inputs on the back and the
front.

For rear inputs, I want left/right audio (coax), composite video, and
component video.  For the front all I want is composite and left/right
audio, and I could live without them as long as the rear inputs are
good.

I just want a good analog television, that has little screen border so
it will fit in my cabinet (22W, 23D, 20H).  Years ago Sony and JVC both
sold a set that would be perfect, and came in 20 and 22 inch versions,
both of which would fit in my cabinet.

I live in Tidewater, Virginia.  Anyone have any idea where I might go to
find something decent?  I've been to the K/Wall/blah-Mart stores, Best
Buy, Costco, Sears, Circuit City, and Target, and don't see anything I
really like.

Just about all other department stores and electronics stores in the
area died years ago.

I don't even see much online, but then it takes forever to find anything
online and shipping is a bitch.

Anyway, I hate to get something I really don't want, so I'm looking for
suggestions.

So far I've seen a flat-screen Sylvania (Funai) that is the perfect
size, but lacks a filter, dark tube or mask, and I don't know anything
about Funai in terms of quality.  At Circuit City they have an ESA that
looks OK (store brand), but also lacks the better rear inputs, filter,
and I have no idea about quality.

Flat-panel and other system are way out of my budget.  I want to stay in
the $100-300 range.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Star Wars Moral Number 17: Teddy bears are
dangerous in herds."]