[geeks] Carbon nanotube buckytape

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sat Aug 20 12:42:12 CDT 2005

Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> The ones that are conductors are better conductors than any known metal,
> so they ought to be suitable, eventually.  At the moment, however, I
> don't believe they can even control what electrical properties
> (conductor, semi-conductor, or insulator) the nanotubes have when they
> make them, so using them for anything at the moment is rather far off.
> Incredibly cool tech, though.  I did a research paper with nanotubes as
> one topic a couple of months ago, so I've got some reasonably recent data.

On the other hand, it appears from the article the tape is conductive
enough to use it as a light element or a windshield defroster.

How long it lasts in the light-element mode is another question
altogether, as is how much power it draws.  I suspect that's more a
"Cool, look what we can do with it!" than an actual useful application.
 It is, however, an interesting echo back to Edison's original carbon
filament.

 Phil Stracchino       phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Mobile: 603-216-7037         Landline: 603-886-3518