[geeks] Carbon nanotube buckytape

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Sat Aug 20 00:29:04 CDT 2005

Phil Stracchino wrote:

>Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 wrote:
>

>>They are conductive?  So basically you could re-wire your house with it?
>>

>I don't know how good of a replacement it'd make for copper wire.
>Carbon nanotubes are, if memory serves, either conductive or
>semiconductive depending on the alignment of the atoms in the tube.
>
>I suspect you'd need a hell of a lot of it to replace conventional
>copper house wiring.

The ones that are conductors are better conductors than any known metal,
so they ought to be suitable, eventually.  At the moment, however, I
don't believe they can even control what electrical properties
(conductor, semi-conductor, or insulator) the nanotubes have when they
make them, so using them for anything at the moment is rather far off.
Incredibly cool tech, though.  I did a research paper with nanotubes as
one topic a couple of months ago, so I've got some reasonably recent data.
    Greg