[geeks] MAC - IP address

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Thu Aug 18 15:29:07 CDT 2005

I have a set of Axis and HP JetDirect print servers.

If the device is set to acquire it's IP via DHCP, I should be able to

arp -s 172.2.3.4 ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

(where 172.2.3.4 is an unused IP on the net)

and then ftp/telnet in, grab the setting file and then I'll know what
it's IP is, pass that along to a label printing application and all is well.

However I can't do this - ping, telnet, the device is MIA at that
address.  It IS reachable at the address it obtained via DHCP (I cheated
and printed it out).

Yet my local machine seems to know what I've done ...

briandunbar_natasha_~/Desktop:arp -a | grep 8f
? (172.2.3.4) at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff on en0 permanent [ethernet]

The above true IP and MAC are masked of course, but this original
capture was the address and MAC of the device.  What am I doing wrong?

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

Remember.
But move forward, too. Light a candle, yes. But also drive a rivet.
~Lileks