[geeks] While on the subject of weirdness

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Mon Aug 8 00:27:36 CDT 2005

From: Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com>
> I got a real puzzler, and the only lead I had was a HAM's (Nyle
> Steiner) web site, but haven't heard anything back from him so I'm
> assumed he has changed email. In the meantime, I've contacted many
> radio geeks, electronic wizs etc. I figured I'd give it a shot on the
> Geeks list, with all the electronics posts we've had recently.

<snip>

> In short, I'm getting radio reception out of a little puddle of salty
> water, a copper wire and a piece of aluminium. But there is much more
> to the story.> I'm interested in any info to any experience that is even vaguely
> related. Also interested in any theories as to what's going on.
>
> Francois

He's got it right.  He created a non-linear junction which can mix the
"carrier" and sidebands of an AM radio station and get the audio out
of it.  There's the infamous "carborundum in the filling" story where
some one supposedly could receive stations on their teeth (although
I really think it's an "urban" myth).  I know of several cases of TVI
not caused by a ham radio operator but a bad contact between pieces
of metal that produced harmonics of the ham's transmission.  Considering
that AM stations can run really high power, it's no wonder that a
meager "crystal radio" can receive them.  During WWII, GIs used to
make foxhole radios out of razor blades and scrounged parts.

I designed and made a tunable field strength meter that was supposed
to be really sensitive.  One day I was looking at the meter and I noticed
it was moving slightly (a 50 microampere meter).  WTF?  So I plugged
in a crystal earphone and heard short wave stations...on a four foot
whip!  Now I use it in the bed room.....doesn't disturb the wife
when she's sleeping :)

IIRC there is a website of crystal radio enthusiasts which might be
a source of info.  I think it is midnightradio.com

Bob