[geeks] Any recommendations on shared calendars and time sheets?

Nathan Raymond nate at portents.com
Wed Apr 27 11:21:55 CDT 2005

I've never used or administered a time sheet system I liked, and I hate
Outlook and Exchange, yet $DAYJOB is primarily Windows (one Linux server
that I should do some hardware/software upgrades to one of these days, but
the thing works so well as is I haven't bothered).

I now have to make some very quick decisions due to imminent company
growth, and I'm getting very vague requirements being thrown at me (and
I'm an IT department of one), but if anyone has any suggestions or
experiences or pointers in the right direction, I would be so psyched.

For shared calendars, what is there besides Sunbird and the Calendar
component of Mozilla?  Sunbird is at version 0.2, which sounds like it's
still at the teething stage.  How is the Calendar component of Mozilla in
practice?  There are only about 6 people who need shared calendaring right
now, with at most 20 down the road (though theoretically 70+ people might
make use of it, I think the programmers, artists, designers, and QA folks
won't care enough to make it a 'everyone needs it' thing).  Could be open
source, shareware, commercial, but it has to be something that works well,
is reliable, not extremely time consuming to set up or administer, have a
Windows client (ideally one that can import existing Outlook data in some
fashion), server component could run on Windows or could run on Linux
(alternatively I could repurpose a B&W 400Mhz G3 Mac with an Adaptec U160
SCSI card under my desk as well).  Any suggestions?

Same deal with time sheets - Windows client, Windows or Linux (or Mac)
back end.  The time sheets thing starts to get sticky though because
they'd also like it to plug into a financial system (they current use
QuickBooks and wouldn't mind moving to something else), and would like a
financial system that can do what Microsoft Project does (they currently,
believe it or not, have everyone email their time sheets to the secretary
as Excel files, which she then manually compiles and then passes off to
management who move that data into other excel spreadsheets which they use
with MS Project and Quickbooks to do some semblance of project tracking
and budgeting).

Any suggestions (on or off list), I'd be so grateful...

- Nate