[geeks] Max drive height in HP 9000 C360?

Nathan Raymond nate at portents.com
Tue Apr 26 15:01:04 CDT 2005

So I just won an ebay auction for a C360 for $9 + $45 shipping, it has
512MB RAM and no hard drive (former government machine).  After the recent
discussions about the B2000, it piqued my curiousity about the PA-8500
however I'm not a big fan of Linux and prefer *BSD, and was happy to find
the C360 is supported by OpenBSD.  Now, I've never worked on one of these
machines before and won't know what it's like until I get it, and the info
here was kind of vague:

http://www.openpa.net/systems/c200.html

> The disk-slider can accomodate up to three SCSI-drives and one
> floppy-drive simultaneously, the internal cabling (usually) includes one
> Wide-SCSI cable with three 68-pin connectors and a SE-terminator at the
> end, one Narrow-SCSI with one 50-pin connector and one cable for the
> floppy.

> The Wide-SCSI cable is normally used for the internal 3.5"
> 68-pin Ultra-wide SE system drives. Up to three harddrives can be
> installed in the cage, which leaves no room for an external-accessible
> CD/DAT-drive though. The Ultra-wide drives are also bootable by the PDC.

Ok I just dug into the support manual, and I think I found some of the
info on page 134 of the PDF (printed page 116):

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpv37673/lpv37673.pdf

Based on the pictures, it looks like I might be able to use one 1.6" high
(half height) 3.5" hard drive, correct?  I'll also need some mounting
rails (ugh, hope they aren't too hard to find...)  I can't tell if there's
enough room for an SCA adapter (uh oh).

Anyone have any first-hand experiences with this machine?

- Nate