[geeks] Opinions on SGI stock?

rob fielding rob at dsvr.net
Tue Apr 26 11:41:45 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 12:30 -0400, Nathan Raymond wrote:
> Hey everyone, my grandfather recently asked me about SGI, apparently he
> has some money invested in the company and in the last week the stock
> dipped below $1 and of course if it stays below $1 they will get delisted
> from the stock exchange.  I don't invest in stocks, and haven't been
> following SGI closely, but from what I do know about them these days,
> they're not doing too well and have quite a bit of competition in the
> markets they are in.  He wants to know whether to pull his money out now
> (he'd lose a bit compared to when he invested), or to wait.  Anyone have
> any opinions?  I would imagine that SGI has quite a bit of intellectual
> property that might make them more valuable than the market considers
> them, but again, I don't know, and don't know exactly where to go looking
> in terms of helping him research this stuff (before he retired he worked
> for Raytheon almost his whole life, but he doesn't understand computer
> technology too well).

Some would argue he should buy more.

SGI do (still) have alot of good tech, good enough for them to be bought
by a bigger player - like IBM. In which case they'll offer a better
price than their share price to buy up stock and acquire. Then he'll get
more than if he just sold them now.

Wow, looking at my finance.yahoo.co.uk graph back to 1995,, nearly 50
dollars per share. It's amazing what a lot of loss of direction can cost
a company.

My 2p.

--
Rob Fielding
rob at dsvr.net

www.dsvr.co.uk                                             Development
Designer Servers                                    Business Serve Plc

    "I don't pretend to understand Brannigans Law. I merely enforce it"
        - Zapp Brannigan