[geeks] my head just went explodey

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 4 23:32:50 CDT 2005

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 @ 01:20 +1000, Scott Howard said:

> On Apr 3, 2005, at 12:30 AM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> >
> >I've been refused (2-3 years ago) a job because I didn't know Solaris
> >6.
> >"Your last Solaris release was 2.6, which is way behind Solaris 6".
> >
> >That's verbatim, and it came from the head admin.
>
> Sounds like a good thing you found out they were that clueless now
> rather than after you'd accepted the job :)

Yeah, but in the end, I have to eat, and I've rarely been in a place
that was more cluefull than that anyway.

> At my last job I used to do the resume culling/tech interviews, and it's
> scary how many people put things on their resumes like "Solaris 5, 6 and 7",
> or "Solaris 2.6, 2.7 and 2.8", or even "Solaris 5.7, 5.8 and 6"
>
> But it made my life easier - anyone who put something like that got
> culled immediately.  (This was for a Solaris admin job, so there's no
> excuse for getting that wrong).

Hmmm... I think that is a bit extreme.

Consider that Sun can't even make up its mind, and even fairly
recently I've seen Sun reps using terms like "SunOS 5.x" and 2.x in
presentations.

I know some highly experienced Solaris admins whom you would cull, and
I personally rate quite a few of their other skills *much* higher than
divining the logic behind Sun's numbering scheme.

Also, consider that many of us have to use those numbers to get past the
buzzword police.

Further, a lot of our resumes are edited after we submit them, which
makes some things you see out of our control.

I've even wondered if maybe our resumes should not have a copyright page
which explicitely forbids modification.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The object of war is not to die for your
country but to make the other bastard die for his." -- General George S.