[geeks] Special skills draft?

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Fri Sep 24 13:38:40 CDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 03:26:18PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> From: "Michael Horton" <Michael.Horton at acntv.com>Date: 2004/09/24
>> Fri PM 12:53:33 GMT To: <gsm at mendelson.com>, "'The Geeks List'"
>> <geeks at sunhelp.org>Subject: RE: [geeks] Special skills draft?

<snip>

>> i do think most of them like volkswagons (dr. proche's beetle was
>> hitler's idea according to my high school history teacher).
>
> The idea of a volkswagon (loose translation, peoples wagon, or car),
> is not a bad idea - remember, at the time car ownership was not that
> common. If affordable and reliable transportation is a uniquely Nazi
> idea, then I may need to reconsider my position on Nazis! ;^)

Hardly a Nazi idea, or even a German one.  The whole point of Ford's
Model-T 'Tin Lizzy' was that it was made cheaply and for the common man.
This may have been the first time it was done in Europe or Germany, but
Ford had a car that an average working man in the US could buy for about
a generation before the VW started rolling off lines under Hitler's
rule.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org