[geeks] Carly Fiorina to enter politics? This nation is doomed...

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Sep 15 12:28:42 CDT 2004

" From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>
"
" On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
"
" >> No, they didn't.
" >
" > I think we have different definitions of "integrated".
" >
" > I don't mean integrated into the kernel.  I mean the OS as a whole was
" > useless without the graphics subsystem.
"
" Well, that's only because no one wrote a shell for native-mode NT.
" There's no reason that NT 4.0 has to boot the GUI.  I've seen some
" software that runs atop the NT executive directly.

not exactly native-mode, but what about sfu3?  if the posix subsystem
layer [interix 2.2 iirc] is truly posix, shouldn't it have cli for
everything?  and it can be run in place of win32 - at least, pre-ms
interix gave you the option.

" > You couldn't run NT headless in any consumer release, unless I missed
" > something big.
"
" You -can-, but you have to hack around in the registry to tell it not to
" start the GUI, and it's been years since I tried any of that.  Keep in
" mind that the second-stage NT setup and the Windows 2000 recovery consol
" are applications that run atop the executive directly without the GUI.

see above.