[geeks] Carly Fiorina to enter politics? This nation is doomed...

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Sep 14 17:30:34 CDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:38:42 -0400
Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> And where does one get AT&T SysV?
Good question. Who owns it today? SCO or maybe still Novel?
Actually SysV as an OS of its own doesn't exist anymore.

> As one can't I think BSD is the next
> purest thing, and NetBSD strikes me as the purest of the BSDs (unless
> one really wants to go back 4.3 or somesuch).
You know Mr. Sokolov? ;-)

> But, I won't argue anymore about it with someone from NetBSD, or in
> general.
Being a NetBSD developer doesn't make me a Unix authority. I am only a
small wheel in a big machine. I became developer because when I can
commit my stuff myself I don't need to bother an other developer with
it.

> Just so long as you don't try to suggest that NT 3.51 is just as much
> unix as anything else is.
Well, NT 3.51 is POSIX. Isn't it? OpenVMS is POSIX too. ;-)

> Hey, it makes sense.  They are saying that their product will run on
> the last AT&T release or Linux, and nothing else, right?
Maybe I should clearify: Unix != UNIX. UNIX is SysV, the trademark and
Unix is the paradigm.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen