[geeks] Carly Fiorina to enter politics? This nation is doomed...

lefa at ucsc.edu lefa at ucsc.edu
Tue Sep 14 13:53:00 CDT 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> > > I don't think anyone else was ever serious about it though.
> >
> > Well, SGI seems to be as they seem to have bet the farm on it.
>
> I think they are testing the waters and seeing how it works out.

I am afraid not. They have gone full blown itanium. MIPS is about to be
killed off for good (for the non embedded stuff), and Irix also has been given a
termination date. They expect most revenue to come from Altix based
architectures in the near future. This is from a person inside SGI BTW.
SGI can not affo developing such low volume parts as teh R1X000 any
longer, specially when they are being eaten alive by low cost
alternatives. It is sad, but that is where they are at.