[geeks] Carly Fiorina to enter politics? This nation is doomed...

Dave Fischer dave at cca.org
Thu Sep 9 16:14:57 CDT 2004

jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de writes:

>On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 11:41:10 +0100
>Mike Meredith <mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> They do of course have the possibility of extending what's been done
>> with the USIV, and just have more and more USIII cores integrated into
>> a multi-core CPU.
>Throwing in more and more "slow" CPUs isn't a solution. See SGIs
>Origins. They are going to substitute them with the Itanic based Altix.

Depends how much of the chip is being used on trying to keep the
rest of the chip busy. With out-of-order, speculative, etc., the
overhead for keeping track of all of that is huge. If you packed
as many simple CPUs into a single chip instead, and let the OS keep
them all occupied, you may well get better overall performance per
chip.

(This would be for server/scientific stuff obviously - "typical desktop"
machines would not do well with such a design.)

That's how it looks to me, but then - I also think VLIW is a good
idea, so obviously I'm a kook. :-)

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
------ When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a snail. ------