[geeks] Carly Fiorina to enter politics? This nation is doomed...

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 9 12:43:04 CDT 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 18:29:24 +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> Ahh, forgot about Fujitsu's SPARC64. But are SPARC64 implementations
> really competitive in horepower to the latest Pentiums / Athlons?

Well according to Fujitsu's figures for SPECint_rate2000 :-

SPARCV64 at 1.89GHz	119
Itanium 1.5Ghz		112
Power4+ @ 1.5Ghz	 92
Xeon MP @ 3Ghz		 86
USIII @ 1.2Ghz		 63

Looks pretty good to me!

> > They do of course have the possibility of extending what's been done
> > with the USIV, and just have more and more USIII cores integrated
> > into a multi-core CPU.
> Throwing in more and more "slow" CPUs isn't a solution. See SGIs

I didn't say it was a good solution!

> > But I wouldn't be surprised to see Sun move to AMD64 sooner or
> > later.
> Especially for low end stuff. I hope they are selling them with
> Slowlaris and not Linsux.

I don't know what the existing Opteron workstations are selling with,
but Solaris 10 will definitely run on them.

> > Of course with the possibility of Solaris 10 on the PowerPC, they
> > could end up going that route.
>
> I don't think they will do that. Too much IBM dependency on PPC.

Whether it really gets done as more than just a demo is another matter.

> Itanic _is_ the common design, but finaly only HP and Intel where
> left.

Hmm. I was thinking of an Intel-free common design.