[geeks] Carly Fiorina to enter politics? This nation is doomed...

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Sep 9 11:29:24 CDT 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 11:41:10 +0100
Mike Meredith <mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I believe the intention was to use Fujitsu's SPARC64 for high-end
> stuff.
Ahh, forgot about Fujitsu's SPARC64. But are SPARC64 implementations
really competitive in horepower to the latest Pentiums / Athlons?

> They do of course have the possibility of extending what's been done
> with the USIV, and just have more and more USIII cores integrated into
> a multi-core CPU.
Throwing in more and more "slow" CPUs isn't a solution. See SGIs
Origins. They are going to substitute them with the Itanic based Altix.

> But I wouldn't be surprised to see Sun move to AMD64 sooner or later.
Especially for low end stuff. I hope they are selling them with
Slowlaris and not Linsux. An other company selling Linsux PeeCees is not
what we need. SGI sells the Altix with Linsux, but an Altix is no
PeeCee. It is a Origin 3000 with the MIPS CPU replaced by Itanic.

To be honest: I wold like to get an Altix 350 to start NetBSD/ia64.

> Of course with the possibility of Solaris 10 on the PowerPC, they
> could end up going that route.
I don't think they will do that. Too much IBM dependency on PPC.

> It's a shame that the "small" companies didn't see this coming 5 years
> ago and collaborate on a common design. Probably too late now though.
Itanic _is_ the common design, but finaly only HP and Intel where left.

> Some people (looks at pile of old Alphas) gritted their teeth and
> switched to Sun. I still miss some neat Tru64 features.
:-(
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen