[geeks] Carly Fiorina to enter politics? This nation is doomed...

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Sun Sep 5 23:05:07 CDT 2004

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 10:33:53PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>
> >http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/9587298.htm?1c
>
> Article?  For those of us who haven't sold our soul to the SJMN?

Weird.  When I went to the link the first time, no login q.  Now that I try to view it again, it wants all sorts of heinous questions to be asked.

BTW, "moderate and pro-choice" is Republican-ese for "she's a
Democrat, but if we ran her, we think we would win the seat".  a/k/a/
"RINO" Republican in Name Only.

Please excuse any formatting probs:

---BEGIN
When Carly Fiorina leaves Hewlett-Packard, she could have another
career -- in politics.

Local political observers say Fiorina, a Republican, would be a good
candidate for either an elected or appointed office.

``I know she is a very attractive personality,'' said Duf Sundheim,
the chairman of the California Republican Party. ``I know there are
those who would love to see her run.''

Fiorina has kept any such plans close to the vest. When asked a year
ago if she would consider a career in politics, she coyly answered
that she ``never thinks about the next job'' so that she can stay
focused on the current one.

Fiorina and her husband, Frank, have made at least $36,000 in
political donations over the past five years, including $6,000 to
George W. Bush, according to the Center for Responsive
Politics. That's relatively modest compared with other Silicon Valley
heavyweights, such as Cisco Systems Chief Executive John Chambers.

A person familiar with Fiorina's intentions said she has long harbored
a desire to get into politics, but doesn't want to reveal her
aspirations because she doesn't want to be perceived as less than
dedicated to her job at HP.

Republican insiders said Fiorina, whom they described as a moderate
and pro-choice, is a rare breed, and she could have a bright future in
politics.

Fiorina introduced now-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger at a fundraising
event in San Francisco during his campaign to recall former California
Gov. Gray Davis.

HP spokeswoman Monica Sarkar said Fiorina's involvement with the
Schwarzenegger campaign was related to HP business interests, such as
the company's efforts to limit the scope of a bill to impose fees on
computers to fund electronic recycling. She also said Fiorina realizes
good government relations are good for HP's business.

Fiorina was in New York last week but did not go to the Republican
convention, said Sarkar.  Mercury News Staff Writer Jim Puzzanghera
contributed to this report.

----END