[geeks] SA Documentation creation/mgmt

james james at jdfogg.com
Tue Oct 26 08:02:51 CDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 08:55, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> On Oct 25, 2004, at 7:52 PM, velociraptor wrote:
>

> > Am I nuts for thinking there's something out there like this, or off
> > my rocker for thinking I'll ever get admins to document stuff?
> >
> > Any suggestions, please?

The best implementation of this idea I've seen was a apache/perl/mysql
application that would accept input and place it in a xref database.
With a simple web interface it encouraged people to use it. Once it was
underway it didn't take much effort to maintain it. Initially it takes
time unless you allow anyone to input data without checking it.

I have an image of it from when I left the company and it contains the
grey matter of about 25 very seasoned UNIX gurus. It's hundreds of
megabytes of text. It's admin hints, Solaris and Linux howtos and
command references, best practices etc. Most of it isn't site-specific.