[geeks] SA Documentation creation/mgmt

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Tue Oct 26 07:55:56 CDT 2004

On Oct 25, 2004, at 7:52 PM, velociraptor wrote:

> Am I nuts for thinking there's something out there like this, or off
> my rocker for thinking I'll ever get admins to document stuff?
>
> Any suggestions, please?

Several years ago we really wanted to do just what you're talking
about, for an environment that has nearly 200 Windows and Solaris
servers.  In the end .. we went with the Word and Excel solution.  It
was _something_  after all, and while it's not perfect it's not the
tools so much as the method that matters.

Example - we've now been merged with the 'other' Ops group and hey
guess what?  They didn't have documentation.  Everyone just 'knew'
everything.  Except that half of everyone has been laid off.  Which
makes just working an incredible PITA.

~brian