[geeks] just to stir things up, a few predictions

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Oct 25 17:24:17 CDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 01:43:21PM -0500, Matthew Braun wrote:
> >2a.  It also helps to remember that the Constitution limits the govt's
> >rights, not the rights of Americans.  That is the Constitution limits
> >the governement in what they may do, not the people.
>
> I think what might be subject to a lot of legal wrangling is "what
> defines 'the people'" in the context of lawmaking. We do not make laws
> personally; we have proxies in the form of our elected officials. So if
> our congressman votes in favor of a law, is that not "the people"
> passing the law? If so, then anything passed by congress meets the
> requirements of the 10th amendment.

That would make Congress, which is one branch of the government,
equivalent to 'the People', which is clearly absurd as it would make the
10th Amendment sheer nonsense.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net