[geeks] just to stir things up, a few predictions

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Oct 23 12:11:49 CDT 2004

Tue, 19 Oct 2004 @ 15:14 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> Certainly it should be possible to control the profit-motive issue.
> "What do you mean, we only had a 30% ROI this quarter?  Double the room
> and linen fees."
>
> (And don't get me started on medical insurance.)

In Tidewater Virginia, Sentara owns both hospitals and one of the bigger
insurance companies.

Before they expanded heavily in the 90s, and the HMOs became powerful
and sucked up most of the locally insured, costs were far less.  I could
get a yearly or bi-annual checkup for about $250, bloodwork included, or
much less if I used insurance.

Now it's as much as $250 *AFTER* insurance.  I can no longer afford to
pay out of pocket, because the total charge is around $700.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I want this Perl software checked for
viruses.  Use Norton Antivirus." -- Charlie Kirkpatrick]