[geeks] Lazy co-workers....

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Wed Oct 20 23:16:29 CDT 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Timothy Bryce wrote:
> How many people here have or have had extremely lazy co-workers?  What
> is it about them that really bugs you?  I don't mean the run of the
> mill "doesn't do much" lazy co-worker but the, "doesn't do anything
> and get's away with it co-worker".

I had one once who didn't do anything and got away with it, but it
wasn't so much that he was lazy:  He was grossly incompetent.  I'm
not sure how, but he'd been with the (very large) company for years before
he transferred to our group.  He was an old friend of our manager.  After
he'd been around for a few months the rest of us started comparing notes,
and guess what?  EVERY SINGLE TIME he had gotten a page as the primary
oncall sysadmin, a personal emergency would suddenly arise and he would
hand off to the secondary oncall sysadmin.  Shortly afterwards it was time for
our annual performance reviews where everything was done on a curve and scored
from 1 to 5 where 10% would get a 1 (best), 15% would get 2, 50% would
get 3, 15% would get 4, and 10% would get a 5.  In our group of 10, guess
who got the only score of 1 and accompanying decent raise?  Right after
that came the layoffs, and obviously the shining star didn't get laid off.
Shortly after that was the re-org, where he still worked for the same
manager, but reported to a different manager on a day to day basis.  The
new manager quickly realized he couldn't grep his way out of a paper
bag, raised the issue to the joint senior manager who looked at his
performance review, and all hell broke loose.  Of course since Wonderboy
had been with the company for a decade he was given the choice to quit or
take a disciplinary job at the home office in another state, thus saving
his pension.  The manager managed not to get fired without having to move
to the home office, but still caught a lot of heat.  I guess the extra 5
years of seniority paid off.

-DanD

# Words are only painted fire; a book is the fire itself.   -- Mark Twain