[geeks] just to stir things up, a few predictions

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Tue Oct 19 16:26:34 CDT 2004

On Oct 19, 2004, at 4:09 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 03:53:43PM -0500, Brian Dunbar wrote:
>> To our detriment.  My then three year-old son was badly injured on
>> unsafe playground equipment at our apartment complex.  What we wanted
>> was an apology from the management company for leaving a bit of
>> playground equipment in an unfinished state over a long holiday
>> weekend.  That's it - no money, no damage awards just a stinkin'
>> apology.  We were told, in effect, to talk to their lawyers.
>
> That's so you can get the legal apology that you sign off on that
> states "we wont sue you for money" and all the lawyers are happy.

I paraphrased so as not to bore the list - their lawyers pretty much
laughed off an apology as well.  Even when OUR lawyer said that was all
we wanted.  I suspect (given the typical renter in a place like that)
the idea that one of their tenants would get a lawyer was pretty far
out, let alone that he'd be good at what he does.  It helps to have
friends.

>> So we did. And got our apology.  Plus legal expenses.
>
> Sad state of the legal system.  Your son okay now?

Agreed.  It's been seven years - the only outward sign you can tell is
that the messed-up leg is just a wee bit shorter than the non-messed up
leg and the gap has been getting shorter.  He's fine.  I wish
(sometimes) that falling HAD left him with a hangup about heights.
This summer he got the bright idea that scaling to the -very- top of
our large maple tree was a fine idea.  Parents will know the
heart-in-mouth feeling of seeing your next-to-yougest far, far from the
ground, the topmost bit of the tree bending under his weight ...

~brian