Spam: Re: Re: [geeks] Ultra-1/170e replacement

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 23:33:57 CDT 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:44:48 -0400, Adam Breaux <abreaux at domainbank.com> wrote:
> From: geeks-bounces at sunhelp.org [mailto:geeks-bounces at sunhelp.org] On
> Behalf Of Joshua Boyd
> However, as I have an Acard sitting unused, the first IDE device I try
> to add to my U30 is likely to be added via that adapter rather than
> futzing about with USB2.0 or firewire.
>
> I don't know what constitutes decent enclosures.  I've seen some cheap
> ones, and some expensive ones, but other than presumed easy of
> installation and PSU quality, I have no clue what differences there
> might be.

I can't speak to USB, but I imagine it's like FW--a chipset issue.
For a while, a couple years before FW800 (2nd gen) came out,
most FW chipsets did not reach maximum speeds for FW400.
Then the Oxford 911 bridge came out, and that was the chipset
to look for to make sure you were getting the "real deal".  If I was
in the market for FW800 stuff, I'd be looking for Oxford 922
bridges.

Of course, the enclosure/psu and related are important as well--but
you are going to know if those are any good until you crack open
the unit.  If you're going the franken-$computer route, just buy
bridge blocks from Wiebetech or elsewhere and mount them in
whatever old SCSI enclosures you have available.

=Nadine=