[geeks] Ultra-1/170e replacement

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 12 13:06:04 CDT 2004

> From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> Date: 2004/10/12 Tue PM 03:12:22 GMT
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: Re: [geeks] Ultra-1/170e replacement
>
> Tue, 12 Oct 2004 @ 13:45 +0000, Lionel Peterson said:
>
> > A zippy Ultra 5 or 10 (333, 400, 0r 440 MHz CPUs) would give you IDE,
> > and pretty reasonable performance upgrade from a U-170/e, but is
> > really a performance increment over the Ultra 1, not a *profound*
> > increase.
>
> Can you get three IDE drives in either of those?
>
> The only way I can bring myself to trust IDE for important stuff is to
> pair them up in mirrors.
>
> So... I was thinking Sun U5 with a single OS drive, and a mirrored pair
> for the data.
>
> Possible?

Well, how fond are you of the internal CD-ROM drive? There is a space for a single 3 1/2" drive, a bracket that places a second drive where the PCMCIA card adapter fits, and if you extract the CD-ROM drive, you can place a third drive there.

You might have better luck in an Ultra 10 - that may have more space...