[geeks] Indigo2 R10k, base install set or Linux pointers?

Benjamin Gardiner cvisors at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 21:49:56 CDT 2004

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 17:51:58 -0400, Greg Nesbitt <gnesbitt at sapphyre.org> wrote:
> The disk in my faithful Indigo2 R10k recently died.
>
> I had a replacement disk on hand, but because I had no important data
> stored on the machine, I didn't have a good backup.  I then discovered
> that my 6.5 install set is missing 2 CDs (the two Foundation CDs, of
> course), so right now I've got a blank disk and nowhere to go.
>
> A quick look through ePay only shows a few 6.5 base install sets up for
> grabs, all at around the $150 price point, which seems a little steep.
> Anyone have a base install set they'd like to sell?
>
> Several googlings seem to indicate that Free operating systems don't
> support the Indigo2 R10k very well yet - I found some evidence to indicate
> that Gentoo has a working netboot image, but no support for the Impact
> framebuffer, which is a little disappointing.  I'd love to see Linux or
> NetBSD boot on this box.  Anyone know differently?

Unfortunately you will probably not have much luck getting linux or
netbsd working on this machine, and if you do you won't be able to get
the frame buffer working. The only version of linux that would run
with frame buffer support on an sgi box, was pretty much tied to the
indy, and even then it didn't run well.

NetBSD I think may boot, but again, there is no frame buffer support,
and then you loose what makes a silicon graphics machine what it is..

I may have a spare base install floating around at home (I am a
collector of sgi kit) so drop me a line off list, and I may be able to
help you out there...

Benjamin

--
kisses on the dancefloor in my past