[geeks] Deathstar (another drive bites the dust)

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Oct 2 17:53:54 CDT 2004

Thomas Gallaway wrote:

> It smells like the PCB got fried or so. Whenever I plug it in the
> harddisk starts to search and click really fast and then seem to
> restart. Over and over.
>
> Anybody know if I can replace the PCB to get the data off the drive?

I had a similar thing happen with an Excel Store (Chinese IBM copy) drive.
In my case it turned out when the room temperature was over about 65F,
the drive started acting the way you descirbe.

I was able to get the data off the drive by wraping it in an nonconducting
antistatic bag PC board up. Then I placed a bag of ice wrapped in wrag
on top of it.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, C.T.O. GW&T Ltd., Jerusalem Israel
gsm at mendelson.com gsm at gwandt.com
IL Voice: 972-544-608-069  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838