[geeks] ping

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Mon Nov 15 23:32:31 CST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 21:33 -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> On Nov 15, 2004, at 8:43 PM, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
>

> > I need to acquire some thin walled aluminum tubing with an inside
> > diameter of 2" for a project.  Anybody know of a reasonably priced
> > source?  So far, I've found something like $10 for a 1' section, plus
> > shipping.  I don't even know what sort of a place would be able to get
> > this stuff locally.
>
> That's actually a decent price for that stuff.  I assume you need 6061,
> and that price for that stuff.  Plain old pot metal aluminum extruded
> into a tube would be less expensive (and cheaper) but I don't know that
> you could get that and have it reliably be 2" ID.

Actually, don't really care what aluminum it is, as long as it conducts
heat pretty well.  The actual application is a housing for a bicycle
light, using a Fraen 3 Luxeon Star Collimator, and 3 x 3W Luxeon Stars.
I can do some machining on the tube, though with thin walls distortion
can be an issue (I have access to a lathe and a mill).

> I get all my metal needs from:
> http://www.onlinemetals.com
> I'm a very satisfied customer....

Send me the "refer a friend" link from their site, so that we can both
get a discount on our order, eh?

That's the place that I found stuff online...
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?step=4&pid=1231

Thinner walls would actually be better, but this will at least give me
something to play with.  I'll have to order some RSN.
	Greg

--
Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc at linuxweasel.com>