[geeks] Re: It's official, the U.S. is screwed for 4 more years

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu Nov 4 13:16:09 CST 2004

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 01:18:43PM -0500, Michael Horton wrote:
> because of the high rate of aids infection, a woman who is raped has a
> "death sentence" imposed upon her.
> (again from the mainstream media as well as charitable agencies working
> in south africa.)

And to make that much worse, the rape rate is high and rising because
there is a popular superstition that raping a virgin will cure a man of
AIDS.  So not only is the rape rate high, but a disproportionate number
of the rapists have AIDS, and to try to make sure their victims are
virgins, they're often raping children.

The South African government is doing little to nothing to dispel or
debunk this superstition, and from what I've heard, this is largely
because they could do so effectively only by offering a better
alternative, which would require them to accept foreign assistance that
they don't wish to accept because of, basically, reasons of perceived
political prestige.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net