[geeks] testing

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sun May 30 15:00:44 CDT 2004

On Sun, 30 May 2004 13:15:52 -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 11:50:46AM -0500, Mike Hebel wrote:
> > I don't know if it worked or not.
> > Want a laugh?  I've been listed on this RBL and no other:
> > http://www.blars.org/errors/block.html
>
> Who the heck is using blars.org ?  I'm using mail-abuse,org,
> ordb, spamcop, spamhaus, and dsbl.

Never heard of blars.org, and he certainly sounds like he's on the
lunatic fringe. I'd be careful of using spamcop though ... not only do
they say "don't use us to block", but there have been many cases where
legitimate mail sources get blocked (mostly mailing list sources).
Spamhaus on the other hand is excellant ... particularly the combined
BL.

As to only blocking spam, it doesn't do much to encourage rogue ISPs to
do their job. Whilst I understand those who don't want to block
legitimate senders, the spam problem isn't going to go away until the
rogue ISPs clean up their act, so I use SPEWS. Seems that some fairly
big ISPs are going the same way ... AOL is in the process of blocking
the whole of Comcast.