[geeks] Vacuum!

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Tue May 25 12:21:54 CDT 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 01:05:06PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 12:42:11PM -0400, Bryan Fullerton wrote:
> > --On Tuesday, May 25, 2004 11:44 AM -0400 Charles Shannon Hendrix
>> <shannon at widomaker.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Personally, I find most vacuums on the market today are crap.
>>
>> We like our Kirby - I'm guessing it's probably from the mid-80s, but could
>> be older. My wife found it at a second-hand store and 'fixed' it by
>> replacing the worn-out drive belt.
>
> We sat through a Kirby demo once.  The demo guys said they'd demo it by
> cleaning one room.  They vacuumed about a one-by-three-foot patch and
> said the Kirby was obviously so much better because it pulled visible
> dirt onto a piece of white filter paper.

My parents had two Kirby vacs when I was a kid, but I never really knew
much about them till later.  All I know is that Mom would always repair
the Kirby rather than get a new one, till it simply got a lot cheaper to
just buy a new one.  I think she's got a Rainbow vac now.

My sister sold Amway for a while and she swore by their vacuum.  A few
years after she gave up that gig, a Kirby guy knocked on her door.  He
challenged her vac, she took the challenge, clean bags in both units
(supplied by salesman), first her vac, then he cleaned the same spot
with his vac.  She traded hers in for a Kirby.

> We were, to say the least, underwhelmed.

Me?  I use a cheap Hoover. =)

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org