[geeks] Rackmount server recommendations

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu May 20 12:00:34 CDT 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I've looked at Dell, Gateway, HP, IBM, and Penguin Computing.  Any other
> vendors I should be aware of?

I like the Dell 1x50 systems.  The 1650 had a bad run where the power
supplies would BURST INTO FLAMES (happened at work), so make sure you
run the serial number through Dell support to check for a recall on any
PE1650s you get.  Other than that, all thumbs-up from here.

Kountry Mike has a PE1550 that he likes.  Other than being a little
slower than the 1650, I didn't notice much difference.

We're just starting to get PE1750s in at work, but they're based on the
newer-generation Xeon chips instead of the older Pentium /// chips.  I
trust the P3 a lot more, but time marches on.

The IBM xSeries systems are nothing short of impressive, as far as x86
goes.  You get serial console and everything on most of them.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."