[geeks] Solaris x86 account needed

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed May 19 09:25:38 CDT 2004

> From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> Date: 2004/05/19 Wed PM 12:56:08 GMT
> To: geeks at sunhelp.org
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Solaris x86 account needed
>
> Nevermind, found a spare machine to install it on.

Bill, I've installed it a few times, and the "trick" seems to be that unless your video card is supported, you should do a text install (I think by skipping the config during install), then get the driver kit with all the XFree86 drivers. That typically leads to happy GUI install (if that is what you are into ;^)...

I have not done it yet, but I plan on installing Solaris x86 on my cheap box (kit) from Computer Surplus Outlet (see http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/viewproduct.asp?ProductID=COM-450KIT - $59 PII/450 kit) and comparing it to my U5 (400 MHz CPU) to see what the differences are... (they were both about the same price)