[geeks] Interesting article on fingerprint biometric systems

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Tue May 11 11:41:50 CDT 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " some of the security stories are interesting.  A PIN gives you added
> " capabilities like duress codes.  Make a predetermined modification to
> " the PIN and you can tell security "I have a gun to my head, please
> " trigger a SILENT alarm and I'll duck when we come through the door
> " THEN open fire."  I've often wished my ATM card allowed virtual PINs.
> " A PIN with a cash limit and limited use (once, weekly, etc) or a
> " duress code (This card has been stolen, allow a $100 withdrawal and
> " flag the video tape!) might be nice.
>
> when virtual pins and duress codes become common, how do you make sure
> the black hats get snookered?

That's why it's important that the duress code APPEARS to work
at first.

> " For real security, how about a retinal scanner that shoots your eye
> " out?
>
> ouch.
>
> i'd be worried about false positives.  'oops, sorry!' wouldn't cover
> it.

I assume it wouldn't do so on the first failed attempt, and it
might be far more fun if only authorized users knew it would
do it at all.

One thing I did learn about retinal scanners:  They make GREAT
pregnancy tests.

-DanD

# Entropy isn't what it used to be.