[geeks] Interesting article on fingerprint biometric systems

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue May 11 09:03:51 CDT 2004

" From: Dan Duncan <dand at pcisys.net>
"
" On Sun, 9 May 2004, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
" > The only serious benefit to biometrics is in combination with physical
" > ID.  The two are combined.  That way access can be removed or changed so
" > that stealing your biometric data is not forever.
"
" Isn't the ideal THREE things?  Something you have, something you know,
" and something you are.  Physical ID, PIN, and a biometric?  I live
" in a town with at least 5 military bases and while I've never worked
" at any of them, I have a number of friends who have and/or do and
" some of the security stories are interesting.  A PIN gives you added
" capabilities like duress codes.  Make a predetermined modification to
" the PIN and you can tell security "I have a gun to my head, please
" trigger a SILENT alarm and I'll duck when we come through the door
" THEN open fire."  I've often wished my ATM card allowed virtual PINs.
" A PIN with a cash limit and limited use (once, weekly, etc) or a
" duress code (This card has been stolen, allow a $100 withdrawal and
" flag the video tape!) might be nice.

when virtual pins and duress codes become common, how do you make sure
the black hats get snookered?

" For real security, how about a retinal scanner that shoots your eye
" out?

ouch.

i'd be worried about false positives.  'oops, sorry!' wouldn't cover
it.