[geeks] Battle of the Century

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue May 11 09:14:23 CDT 2004

" From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>
"
" In the red corner, wearning black trunks, with a history of conquests
" including AIX and IRIX we have ^H!
"
" In the blue corner, wearing the gold trucks, heavyweight champion of the
" world on DEC UNIX, VMS, Solaris, and Mac OS X, let's hear it for ^?!!
"
" And, stuck in the gridlock, we find me, a frustrated Unix user.
"
" SSH was supposed to fix this with consistent rubout characters for all.
" It hasn't.  Especially not on Solaris and never inside of screen.  RXVT
" always gets it wrong on AIX.  Solaris can't decide WHAT it wants,
" because the console uses ^? and dtterm uses ^H.
"
" What's a fellow to do to maintain sanity?  I run Mac OSX, IRIX, AIX,
" Solaris, Tru64, OpenBSD, and Linux--sometimes all in the same day.
" Sometimes I shell in from my Powerbook, sometimes from my RS/6000, and
" sometimes from a PC.
"
" I'm not beyond the point of switching terminal programs, so long as the
" replacement is somewhat as fast and lightweight as rxvt.

i set my profile up to run stty if interactive, and map ^H to erase
and ^? to intr.  that's what i learned on sVr1, and my sun type 4 kbd
has nice wide keys for both.

btw, i can't [easily] vi in osx b/c the wdwmgr traps ^D for something
- switch windows?  not that i often need vi...

" And it goes without saying that those responsible for this whole industry-
" wide problem need to be beaten about the head and shoulders with a lead
" pipe.

amen!  there are good historical args for each, but for del it's
pretty moss-covered now.