[geeks] UPS Battery

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat May 1 14:07:05 CDT 2004

Sat, 01 May 2004 @ 13:08 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> Most batteries in small UPSes are sealed.  Most car batteries are not.
> So, just like the battery room for larger UPS installations, you need
> proper ventilation and a way to deal with the hydrogen.

Most UPS batteries have a part number that is not specific to the UPS.

They are just standard batteries that they pick and are used for a
variety of applications.

Most APC units use readily available batteries.

Hit Froogle (froogle.google.com) and you should hit a number of sources
for almost any APC model.

Of course, I'm sure they are shady battery dealers, but its a start.

I've seen APC 420 Pro batteries for as little as $12 before, while APC
wants $45.

Of course, APC does ship fast, and you get a postage paid recycling
box.

I just take my batteries to a local shop for recycling, and can usually
get new ones for around $20.

My 1920VA UPS (Compaq/Exide/Deltec unit) needs new batteries, and it has
about 7 of them.  Within the next year or so, I'm going to have to break
down and replace them.

I wish the batteries would last about ten years...

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The trade of governing has always been
monopolized by the most ignorant and the most rascally individuals of