[geeks] Happy Birthday, WWW.SUN.COM!

Nadine Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Wed Jan 28 17:28:08 CST 2004

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Bill Bradford wrote:
>

>>Nifty!
>

> Neat!
>
> Pity that their site's design peaked around 2002 and has gotten steadily
> worse since. :(

Birthday cool, site design...it's better than it
was a couple of years ago, but still not great.

Adrian Cockroft noted during a tech presentation
at BayLISA a couple of years back that the original
www.sun.com ran on a tossed-off hardware that was
in a closet somewhere at Sun HQ.  Some bug with the
uptime (iirc) caused the HQ folks to scurry around
tracing ethernet cables to find it before the bug
hit it.

Apparently, he had built the web server and put it
up well before anyone had ever considered doing so
for marketing purposes.  Then of course when the
marketing/tech support folks found out started using
it, they never bothered to ask, "Where is it and
what's it running on?".

The story sounds very plausible, given the things
that I used to see while working at the very_large_
networking company.

=Nadine=