[geeks] Re: car purchase...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 07:59:22 CST 2004

Message: 12
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 00:30:01 -0500
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
Subject: Re: [geeks] OT: Advice on mid-life crisis car purtchase...
	;^)
To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>

Sat, 27 Dec 2003 @ 19:43 -0800, Lionel Peterson said:

> My thoughts are as follows - either a fun fast car (RX-8, Mustang
> GT/Mach 1) or a Big F**king Truck (Suburban, Expedition) - thoughts?

A 1995 Porsche 968 is nice.  You have to make sure it has had the
pinion gear repair, and they make nice little cars.

Old 911's, make sure you avoid certain years, are nice.

<snip>

Mustang... I have a hard time fitting well in one.  The new mustang,
where they ditch the pony car chassis, is supposed to finally be
designed for an American.

> BTW, I am 240 pounds, 6' 7", so I'd like to fit in the car - I have
> driven (and fit) in Nissan 240sx, recent Mustangs, and on *paper* I
> should fit in the RX-8.

Ouch, bigger than me.  Some cars will surprise you though.

I don't see how you could get in a Mustang though.  I'm just under 6'
tall, and my head hits the ceiling on bumps, especially on the
passenger side.

I think I decided on a Certified Pre-Owned 2001 BMW 740iL (the
Jaguar-looking 7-Series) - they hit my price range, seem
well-maintained, and look *fabulous* (I've always liked them ;^), and
features out the wazoo - run flat tires, navigation, heated steering
wheel, premium sound, etc...

But I have a mental block over spending that much on a used car, but
with the additional 2 year 50K mile warranty, it should be OK...

Thanks to all,

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall