[geeks] APC MasterSwitch alternatives

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 26 16:12:23 CDT 2004

> From: Michael Kaegler <Michael.Kaegler at marist.edu>
> Date: 2004/08/26 Thu PM 02:36:22 GMT
> To: geeks at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [geeks] APC MasterSwitch alternatives
>
> I've been looking for alternatives to an APC MasterSwitch. These are
> essentially smart power strips that can be commanded over
> serial/ethernet to drop load to some ports, etc... intended for
> remote reboot.
>
> I need (well, want...) that remote reboot capability, but at $250 on
> fleabay (and not having seen one at the MIT flea)... the price is
> just out there.

As you may have noticed by now, BayTech options on ebay run about $100-125, and support around 8 systems, SSH/Telnet, and serial connections...

I think you'd be hard-pressed to build a similar box for less, even if the computer it was based on was free (figuring about $12/port to turn digital signals to on/off relay settings, with your software/harware engineering time free)...

See:

http://search.ebay.com/baytech_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8 (link to search for "baytech" at ebay)