[geeks] Re: APC MasterSwitch alternatives

Dave Fischer dave at cca.org
Thu Aug 26 15:59:30 CDT 2004

Michael.Kaegler at marist.edu writes:

>I've been looking for alternatives to an APC MasterSwitch. These are
>essentially smart power strips that can be commanded over
>serial/ethernet to drop load to some ports, etc... intended for
>remote reboot.

>I need (well, want...) that remote reboot capability, but at $250 on
>fleabay (and not having seen one at the MIT flea)... the price is
>just out there. I considered getting more UPSs, since they're
>actually a little cheeper and can often be commanded to drop load,
>but they tend to drop load to everything or nothing...

>Short of building one myself (it could eventually come to that,
>despite my lack of ee), are there any alternatives?
>-mKaegler

I built my own, but the interface box I got (digital in & out,
analog in & out, serial line to the host) cost about $300. But
it also does a lot more.

It speaks ASCII commands to the host, which makes it insanely
easy to program. I got it from these guys:

	http://www.prairiedigital.com

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
------ When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a snail. ------