[geeks] SCSI for PowerBooks?

Matthew Braun geeks at leydenjar.com
Fri Aug 20 18:01:44 CDT 2004

On Aug 18, 2004, at 4:50 PM, velociraptor wrote:
> I am fairly certain another vendor was still selling scsi to
> firewire adaptors at MacWorld last year, but I cannot for
> the life of me remember the brand.  It may have had 'bee'
> or 'buzz' in the name, because I remember it was yellow
> and black.  But google-fu doesn't support "appearance",
> unfortunately. :-)

I think you're referring to the SCUSBee
(http://www.2ndwave.com/support.asp?ProductID=42) but they're SCSI to
USB, not SCSI to firewire. Not that I care; USB or Firewire are
acceptable for my purposes, just as long as the data shows up!

> Are the drives themselves SCSI?  With a little hackery,
> you could probably put IDE->FW bridges in the tower
> more cheaply, and that would have native support.

Well, that's actually a very good idea, but it's not the drives that
would give me problems: it's the changer mechanism itself. It shows up
as just another SCSI device so while I might be able to put adapters on
each of the drives, I don't think the changer mechanism can be
connected to directly.

>> [0] Purchased off ebay for $22 (score!)
>
> Nice. Brand/model?  Seller-ID? :-) Does it have a twin?

Alas, this was a while back. IIRC (it's not next to me right now), it's
a JVC MC-2200 (http://www.kintronics.com/JVC/spec2000.htm). If you look
at http://www.kintronics.com/library.html , the box looks like the one
in the middle (sans printer thingy bolted onto the bottom).