[geeks] Creator 3D graphics on a Sony 400PS

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Aug 9 22:38:39 CDT 2004

Sun, 08 Aug 2004 @ 18:37 -0500, Mike Hebel said:

> On Sunday, August 8, 2004, at 05:27 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> >Sun, 08 Aug 2004 @ 10:10 -0500, Mike Hebel said:
> >
> >>Two things of note from the PDF files:
> >>
> >>1) It says the monitor has Synch-On-Green.  If this is accurate you're
> >>going to have a hell of a time getting it to work on Sun.
> >
> >I'm not sure I understand.
> >
> >All VGA monitors support composite sync-on-green.  It's part of the
> >spec.
>
> Ok.  I'm sure you have some information I don't but I _know_ this isn't
> true.

Well, I should have said it is part of the spec.  It is true that not
all VGA monitors support it.

Of course, I'm not sure the term "VGA monitor" even makes sense any
more.

> However as I stated above sync-on-green is a major issue with sun
> cards.  Basically they don't support it.  If the monitor needs it to
> operate then it's not going to work on a Sun system.

Understood... but the monitor has seperate horzontal and vertical sync,
and I would think it would support them.  Else why have them?

Or can those signals work in tandem with sync-on-green?

> There's a blurb about it at the bottom of this page:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2mdk7
>
> Said converters are here:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6c5b6
>
> I'm not trying to be argumentative but I spent way too much time trying
> to get SGI branded Sony GDM model monitors working on Sun systems.
> Without a converter I've had very little success.

Not a problem.  Arguments are effective as long as "winning" isn't your
goal.

This is a Sony branded Sony Multiscan, model 400PS.

I assume it's not a GDM model.

Of course, they use the same chassis and guts in all kinds of different
models so its hard to really know.

> My advice is to buy a 13w3 -> VGA adapter and see if it "just works" on
> that connection.  If not then it's most likely a sync-on-green issue.

I don't think it would make a difference.

I wish the manual would say if it requires sync-on-green, and exactly
what kinds of input signals.

> Mike Hebel
> ----
> "I think we used too much!" - Chris Knight

shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["And in billows of might swell the Saxons
before her,-- Unite, oh unite!	Or the billows burst o'er her!" -- Downfall
of the Gael]