[geeks] Creator 3D graphics on a Sony 400PS

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Sun Aug 8 18:37:56 CDT 2004

On Sunday, August 8, 2004, at 05:27 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Sun, 08 Aug 2004 @ 10:10 -0500, Mike Hebel said:
>
>> Two things of note from the PDF files:
>>
>> 1) It says the monitor has Synch-On-Green.  If this is accurate you're
>> going to have a hell of a time getting it to work on Sun.
>
> I'm not sure I understand.
>
> All VGA monitors support composite sync-on-green.  It's part of the
> spec.

Ok.  I'm sure you have some information I don't but I _know_ this isn't
true.  I've had multiple monitors that _don't_ support sync-on-green.
Sun monitors and other large engineering monitors are famous for it.

>> These things lead me to believe that the monitor is going to have a
>> synch-on-green problem using the BNC connectors.  Probably because
>> the BNC connectors have different input circuitry.
>
> You mean that they only accept VGA signals?
>
> Is the Sun Creator's signal some kind of special RGB analog signal?

I'm not sure what you mean here.  All analog VGA is RGB.  Period.
However as I stated above sync-on-green is a major issue with sun
cards.  Basically they don't support it.  If the monitor needs it to
operate then it's not going to work on a Sun system.

> No, multisync works on either side.

Ok.

>> If your experience tells you differently then so be it but I think
>> you're secretly dealing with a different beasty than you think you
>> are.
>
> This particular monitor has never been used with Sun video.

I'm going to bet that you're not going to get it working because of the
sync-on-green issue.

> In the past though, I've used quite a few Sony multisync monitors on
> Sun, SGI, and other workstations.

9 times out of ten if it uses sync-on-green it's for SGI.  There's a
whole industry based on converters to supply sync-on-green to work with
non SGI systems.

There's a blurb about it at the bottom of this page:

http://tinyurl.com/2mdk7

Said converters are here:

http://tinyurl.com/6c5b6

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I spent way too much time trying
to get SGI branded Sony GDM model monitors working on Sun systems.
Without a converter I've had very little success.

My advice is to buy a 13w3 -> VGA adapter and see if it "just works" on
that connection.  If not then it's most likely a sync-on-green issue.

Mike Hebel
----
"I think we used too much!" - Chris Knight