[geeks] Good online Apple dealers?

Michael Kaegler Michael.Kaegler at marist.edu
Mon Aug 9 13:50:33 CDT 2004

Generally speaking... target audience.

PowerBooks are for people with deep pockets. Gigabit interfaces,
audio/video in sometimes. Built-in bluetooth. Sleek looks, expensive
displays. They come bigger and go faster.

iBooks are for the rest of us. When the clamshell iBooks came out I
heard the joke that they were "empty boxes" because they had very few
things that had previously been included on all apple laptops
(powerbooks). Smaller drives, fewer interfaces, no L2 (they tend to
have L2 these days), no audio in or scsi anything. But they were fast
and cheep.

iBooks do indeed have a PCMCIA slot; under the keyboard. It holds the
(PCMCIA) airport cards. I honestly don't know if you could put other
stuff in it, but I don't think the current powerbooks use much in the
way of PCMCIA either. Unlike the older PowerBooks (my 1400cs has two
type-ii slots).
-mKaegler