[geeks] Creator 3D graphics on a Sony 400PS

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Sun Aug 8 09:51:29 CDT 2004

On Saturday, August 7, 2004, at 09:37 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> What you might have here my friend is a fixed-frequency monitor.
>
> It's a Sony _Multiscan_ 400PS.  It has both VGA and BNC inputs, and
> syncs
> a wide range of input signals.
>
> This thing has so far sync'd just about every signal I have ever sent
> it, including PC, SGI, and Mac video.
>
> It's giving me a fit on Sun video though.

Fair enough.  I'm mystified why you're having a problem with the BNC
connections though as they are usually clearly labeled and as long as
you have RBG+synch it "just works" from my experience.  Is there a
switch on the back of the monitor for combining H and V synch?

>>> setenv output-device=screen:r1600x1280x76m
>>> reset
>>
>> At the OK prompt from a STOP-A before booting.
>
> That's useful.  I forgot about being able to set the resolution.  It's
> possible it's something oddball right now.
>
> Are you sure about the = sign though?

I'm taking it directly from the framebuffer FAQ I posted the link to.
It works.

> I have tried several different resolutions, no joy so far.
>
> When I hit the menu button on my monitor, the signal is definitely out
> of sync.

Dig out the manual for the monitor if possible.  The only links on
Sony's site don't seem to have your monitor listed:

http://tinyurl.com/4rqql

http://tinyurl.com/4z7sf

The only other link I've found says that it only show two resolutions
for that monitor:

http://tinyurl.com/5apck

> If you have any other ideas, let me know.  I might play some more
> tomorrow and this coming week.

I did finally find this link via Google:

http://tinyurl.com/4gdmh

It has the specs and manual in PDF if you don't have those.

FWIW with these sorts of monitors I've always:

1) Had _all_ BNCs connected.
2) Forced the horizontal and vertical synch to be separate if possible.
3) Treated the monitor as a fixed-frequency monitor.
4) Forced Sun to use the top size the monitor can display.

Mike Hebel
----
"I think we used too much!" - Chris Knight