[geeks] Swords (real ones this time)

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sat Nov 8 18:50:55 CST 2003

On Nov 8, 2003, at 5:49 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:
>The main difference between the PK and the PPK is that the PPK uses a
>slightly
>different tempering process, and it has a proper traditional handle ...

Bill,
On the practical-katana vs. coldsteel photos, I'm inferring that the
Hanwei is the upper of the two.  Am I correct?

Comparing the PK to the PPK, I see the Practical Plus has a little nicer
hamon.  The PK's is very plain, almost completely straight.  Even the
PPK's, though, is very subdued.

Musings:

Truth to tell, I cannot honestly claim to have ever been very impressed
either by Lynn Thompson (of Cold Steel) or by his knives.  In every word
I've seen in print that he's said, he appears to have a bad case of
gunfighter mentality.  It shows in the relish with which he talks about
how he would utter bloodcurdling screams, paralyzing his foes in their
tracks as he leaps into mortal combat on the city street, lopping entire
limbs off unsuspecting muggers with single blows of his mighty fighting
knife.

And frankly, I just don't think the man understands steel.  He makes
ugly knives.

	"Do not kill, when to maim is enough.
	 Do not maim, when to wound is enough.
	 Do not wound, when to threaten is enough.
	 Do not threaten, when simply to be there is enough.
	 The greatest samurai is he who never needs to fight."
				-- from the Code of Bushido